If you are reading this then there are chances that you are well aware about the different types of mattress toppers available in the market. Fast forward, the feather type mattress topper is a very popular type which uses the original feathers of the birds such as the geese and other birds for giving a luxurious comfort level to the bed occupant. It also works well by acting as a protective layer for your base mattress. This type can be very expensive, which makes its proper maintenance and cleaning a very important task to consider with proper consistency.
What you should know about the feather bed topper cleaning and maintenance
The feather mattress topper is the most unique type of all and the cleaning procedure is a bit different too. Extensive care is required during its cleaning process so that the integrity of the topper is well maintained.
Usually, the topper only just requires hanging the topper out in the bright sunlight for at least once every 6 months. This step will freshen up your thing and will also counter the entire unpleasant odor developed in the foam.
But, the job isn’t done till this point only. You need to give it a deep wash too, which should be considered at least once every year.
More frequent washing can be considered which depends on that how frequently the topper is used and what its current situation is.
This type of topper may also get easily spoiled with dust and dirt which will urge you to go for immediate and thorough cleaning. Further, make sure that you have all the instructions about proper and hassle-free cleaning of a feather bed. This guide will also help you in the same capacity.
Steps required for cleaning a feather bed topper
The following are the crucial steps which you require to clean a feather mattress topper:
- You need to check the care instructions label on the topper.The feather type can be a very sensitive material to wash. So, make sure that you read all the cleaning instructions given on the label for keeping the bed clean. It is usually attached with one end of the topper. Your maker might suggest there that it should only be cleaned by a dry cleaning service. If this is the information given then follow it completely.
- Inspect it for signs of wear and tear and make sure that there is no major damaging of the material. The torn areas of the foam during washing can exit all or part of the feathers which could completely ruin your heavy investment. If there is any damage or opening, then make sure that you treat that first before taking it for a wash.
- A large capacity washer must be used for accommodating such a topper. If you don’t have that at home, then you can take it to some professional or commercial cleaning service with such a facility.
- The liquid detergent is the best one for washing a feather type. It will preserve the level of oil presence in the feathers and at the same time, it would retain the overall quality of the topper as well.
- The washing machine must always set on the cold wash cycle. It’s better not to use the hot water while cleaning your mattress topper as it will harm the texture and fibre of the topper. Using cold water wash would help you maintain the actual form of the topper.
- The liquid detergent must always be used as it is directed on the label of its bottle. You should not directly pour on the surface of the topper or dissolved in any other solvent for faster results. You should only use it as prescribed and advised by the company.
- After the wash cycle is completed, then dry it thoroughly in the dryer at a low to medium heat setting.
- Give it at least 3 or more hours after the machine dry process is completed.
Following these steps would results into a clean and clear mattress topper that would not lose its form in any way and will be clear of stains and dirts that were there.